Well, today is the first day back from break. The students start back next week, so this week is guaranteed to be filled with course schedules, meetings, and assorted activities in preparation for the start of the semester. Spring 2008 was my first teaching semester so it is a little funny to me how in two relatively short years my level of nervousness prior to the start of the semester has diminished considerably. Experience is a wonderful teacher and not having to start from scratch makes such a difference in preparations!
In looking back at 2009, I feel that it was a a busy and productive year filled with many great experiences. A brief recap reveals that is consisted of:
- Teaching two new courses, which I have moved largely online based on student input
- Reviewed several articles for two professional journals
- Joined a steering committee for an NIH-project
- Was elected to the board of a state organization
- Continued board member position of another state organization
- Received a small internal research grant for one project that is well underway
- Presented at three conferences (one state, one national, and one international) and one national seminar
- Continued work on my portfolio project
- Worked on data entry with my colleague for our collaborative study
- Had two presentations accepted to an international conference in May 2010
- Applied for a career development grant (fingers are crossed!!!!)
Yes…it was a busy year. Please note that the one thing entirely absent from this list is any publications. So guess what heads the list of goals for 2010?
Goals for 2010:
- Submit several publications (although this is stated quite vaguely, I am formulating a plan of action with specific goals and measurable outcomes)
- Finish study with colleague
- Present at international conference
- Work on incorporating various technologies in my courses to allow for more applied learning activities as part of class time
Here’s hoping that 2010 will be filled with great learning experiences, completed projects, and new opportunities!