New Year’s Meme
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Planted herbs, worked with hospice on behalf of my grandmother, supervised a student’s thesis
2. Did you keep your 2011 resolutions, and will you make more this year?
I resolved to attend more to my health and lose weight, which I did well with in the first half of the year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A wonderful colleague did.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
This year was very difficult in this regard. My grandmother passed away on August 13th, three months to the day after her 90th birthday. Prior to this, my 26 year-old cousin died on May 5th in a car accident, and his grandmother passed away on July 1st.
5. What countries did you visit?
No international travel for me this year. My annual trip to Belize did not occur due to reason #9.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
2011 was a very difficult year emotionally preparing for the passing of my gradnmother, so I really hope that 2012 will be much more peaceful.
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Professionally, I received a unviersity teaching award which was very humbling. Personally, it was trying to ensure that my grandmother’s end of life care met her needs. Also, my husband and I became members of a church and it has been more enjoyable than I anticipated and brought more comfort following my grandmother’s death than I expected.
8. What was your biggest failure?
I don’t think I had any huge failures this year, although I did regain some of the weight I lost in the first part of the year.
9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I became ill, developed an infection, and had to have my gall bladder removed while we were on vacation in Florida. Yes, that was a little stressful.
10. What was the best thing you bought?
11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband, who was a wonderful support in helping me cope with my grandmother’s illness. And he stayed with me at the hospital the whole time I was there (did I mention it was our vacation?) for my gall bladder infection and subsequent surgery.
12. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
13. Where did most of your money go?
My grandmother’s expenses, car repairs, some on entertainment (mostly eating out).
14. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? Sadder, thinner (relatively speaking), poorer (due in large part to some HUGE car repair bills in November which took a big dent out of savings!)
15. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercised, read more, seen more movies
16. What do you wish you’d done less of?
17. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I am sometimes amazed at how I seem to constantly fall in love with my husband and we have been together for 24 years
18. What was the best new book you read?
The Lotus Eaters
19. What was your favorite film of the year?
Up in the Air, although I think I saw less than 5 movies this year
20. What kept you sane?
My kitties, a good counselor who was able to help me address issues related to grief
21. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
As difficult as it is to lose ones you love, you do survive it and they somehow are always a part of you in a very comforting way.
I hope 2012 is a year filled with wonderful things for you!